Tuesday 29 April 2014

A-Z Challenge: Y

Hello Everyone,


Today’s book is not a book, it is a poem by Robert Burns. I don’t like poetry as a rule, I don’t mind reading it, but that is all (apart from Shakespeare, who has a special place in my heart), I am not keen on studying it and writing about it. However, there is a slight moment of pride when I read a Robert Burns poem. I just love the way it sounds when someone Scottish reads it out, almost strengthening their accent when speaking. There is something to it that sounds so natural and beautiful that I just sort of melt inside. The subject matter of love doesn’t help either, clearly Burns (or the speaker) was just so suave and smooth with the opposite sex that the words seemed to come so easy to him. I just love them.

Ye Banks and Braes O’Bonnie Doon is a Scottish lullaby about a woman singing to the river. She cannot believe that it is so beautiful, but so cruel at the same time. I don’t completely understand all of it, but I think you don’t always need to understand everything in a poem, some ambiguity is good. It allows you to interpret the poem in whatever way that you want. I really just love the way the poem sounds, it could be complete nonsense, but if it sounds nice then I will love it.

This poem can be sung, so I have included a link to a video of John Barrowman singing it, he does no' a bad job! (Ye Banks and Braes O'Bonnie Doon). As a result throughout the ages, this song has had many different versions. All three are lovely, but the one that is sang in the video is my favourite. Another person that does a good version is Eddie Reader here.

What is your favourite Burns song? Comment below telling me.


Gracexxx

No comments:

Post a Comment