Tuesday 27 January 2015

Letters From America: Burns Night

Hello Everyone,


Sunday was Burns Night, a day to commemorate the Scottish National Poet Robert Burns, where Scots will generally celebrate with a Burns Supper. This is a meal consisting of Haggis, Neeps and Tatties. For everyone else, that is Haggis, turnips and potatoes. So, as all of my American friends had never had one, I thought I would attempt to cook one for them. It wasn't as good as I would have in Scotland, but it turned out pretty well.


I had a little problem getting my hand on Haggis. It turns out that, due to the presence of sheep lung, the USA has a ban on the import of it. So, wherever I looked, it would not be the kind of Haggis that you can get at home. However, after looking in every likely shop, Walmart, the World Market etc., there was none to be found. I eventually got it by phoning up one of the local Irish pubs, and asking if I could get a take-away portion, which they were very kind to provide. I think I may be making another stop at this pub at some point, even if I can't order a drink, it has a sign pointing my way to Glasgow and how many miles it is. I even saw someone in a kilt. 



We all had a great time, and everyone seemed to enjoy the food. All my friends that came tried some Haggis, and they actually liked it! We read some Burns poetry and listened to Scottish music. We even did some Scottish Country Dancing. 



A pretty good night, exactly what Burns night should be about. Having a laugh and enjoying yourself with friends, while celebrating some Scottish history and culture. 


No comments:

Post a Comment